Sunday, March 31, 2019

a red flag to a bull.. (dealing with zero waste criticism)


Some skeptics noticing me placing things in my own bag in a supermarket are commenting that my personal habits will not change the world. "Saying "no" to one plastic bag will not save the world. Your zero waste journey brings zero results, as all the plastic bags in the shop are already there. Manufacturers and governments have to change their ways, individuals can’t do anything." Does it sound familiar? Skeptics are everywhere. I also heard from many people, that their families are sometimes quite negative about their sustainable choices.

Reading time: 3:19 mins.
Solutions:
It sometimes happens that when you choose something environmentally friendly, other people feel attacked.
They don’t do the same and they start thinking that you may judge them, you may even want to convert them into a new lifestyle or they think you are already doing both (judging and converting). So, they resist, and sometimes they even attack. We can’t persuade everyone, as we will waste our time and energy. Telling them that our actions help to save the environment is like waving red flag to a bull. (Oh.. I just thought that my bag is actually red.)


I'm always happy to explain my ideas. But with some people, I know, I'll just waste my time, my energy, and a feeling of peace. Luckily, there are some interesting “side effects” of living zero waste, that can seem to be strong reasons for your choice in the eyes of skeptics:

Saving money.
• You invest in reusable items once and don’t need to buy them again and again. • You don’t need to overpay for the packaging, and some items will cost less. • Some coffee shops give a discount if you bring your own cup. • You start saying “no” to unnecessary purchases, avoid duplicates, minimize the usage of cosmetics and different chemicals, using simple natural solutions instead. • You start buying second hand (avoiding packaging & extending the life cycle of things).

In all these actions you surely see a huge environmental impact. While people see that you are spending less - and they like it.

Bea Johnson and her husband calculated that zero waste lifestyle saved them 40% on their overall budget.


Special diet.
(This reason won’t work if the skeptic is your mom, who cooks for you)  
 Many people are on some special kind of diet now. There are so many: veganism,  gluten-free, intermittent fasting, counting calories, etc…

Choosing a plastic-free diet may sound reasonable for many skeptics. Avoiding single-use plastic packaging, you automatically start buying healthier and better products. This type of diet helps you to buy whole, fresh foods, fruits & vegetables.

Things may be even more serious..., you may be on a diet, trying to avoid some chemicals found in many plastic things. These chemicals include BPA (which hardens plastic) and phthalates (which soften plastic). They leach into food and water supplies, and we are widely exposed to it. It is difficult to avoid these chemicals, but we may try to minimize exposure: by buying and storing foods in glass jars and by using fresh, frozen, or dried products, not canned.

Drinking water - using my own bottle allows me to stay hydrated during the day. And, as for me, I avoid drinking cold water. Chinese wisdom says that warm or hot water is better for your health. My own bottle allows me to always have warm water with me.


Bea Johnson uses an awesome reason, buying from skeptical people, asking not to pack things into plastic. She says: I don’t have a trash bin at home.
So, rather than attack, they feel sorry for her.


And people don’t feel attacked by your sustainable choices anymore. On opposite, they are happy that they are in a better position than you are.


Skeptics also argue - that I’m not 100% zero waste yet. They also say that the whole concept is impossible - because my (vegetables/vinegar/ other reusable things) were produced or transported using plastic.

I’m not 100% zero. But I’ve already reduced a lot. What’s most important is that I started noticing my consuming habits. I don’t aim to stop at 75.5% and become a 24.5% waste. I aim to zero. Bea Johnson writes: Considering the manufacturing practices, it is evident that absolute Zero Waste is not possible today. Zero Waste is an idealistic goal, a carrot to get as close as possible.

She is an example of a person, who is changing the world. We are definitely not alone. The UN is working on waste reduction, and governments are working on ideas of the circular economy. There are numerous articles about these actions on the national level. But, despite all the actions of governments an impact of every single person is huge:

"It's only one straw" said 8 billion people - https://ibanplastic.com/plastic-straws/


Any small change toward sustainability has a positive effect on our planet and society.
That's why we choose zero waste. Also, my own reason for my Zero Waste journey is to get closer to the world that I describe in my film (architecture-life-dialogue.org). I know, I can’t persuade every single skeptic, as I would waste my precious time and energy, but I believe that our everyday actions determine our future, and I’m doing all the best to move to an amazing one.


 ______
•Photos by the Evening Sun Photographs - https://www.facebook.com/eveningsunphotographs/
• http://blog.tutorming.com/expats/why-do-chinese-people-always-drink-hot-water